Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gone Fishin'

Today, I went fishing. Now, I am not the country girl that I make out to be. I love to blare my Hank and George Jones, dream about owning a big gas-guzzling ford pick-up, and my southern drawl is thick and captivating. However, when it comes down to it, I never really do anything that "country." So today, I decided to try my hand at something that every country girl should do and set out on a fishing adventure.

My boss continues to prove his coolness by taking me out to his farm with his wife and daughter (who is one of the cutest kids on the planet) for a fishing trip. A little weary of the whole touching the worms thing, I required some assistance in the beginning. Not long after casting my pole out into the pond, I saw my little bobber do-hicky fall beneath the water and a tug on my line. Excitedly, I reeled in the line to find a little blue-gill flopping about. Unable to get up the gumption to take the fish off the line, the boss man had to help me out on that one, as the cute little girl squealed in delight next to me.

Now, I did get accustomed to baiting my own hook and taking my own fish off and even caught a massive bass. Yep, I was feeling like a country girl alright. Dirt covering my jeans, fish blood on my hands, I was getting down to my roots.

The most amazing thing though, was for the first time in years, I spent three solid hours without worrying, stressing, or going through my long mental to do list. I was in a place where the only thing I could see was perfect, beautiful untouched land. I stood there thinking, "Wow. I love this place. Nowhere in the world could be more perfectly serene." My phone had no service, no text messages were coming through, no internet to waste time on. For three hours, I found peace of mind and the carefree little girl that I used to know.

1 comment:

  1. I told you fishing was awesome! Now we have to go sometime :)

    ReplyDelete